Kona Pacific Public Charter School – Join Our Team!
Cultivating Community Health, Growing Healthy Children
Kona Pacific Public Charter School is currently recruiting for the positions listed below. Please scroll down to read the full job posting for each position.
Our school serves a beautifully diverse population in Hawaii. Each student at Kona Pacific is inspired to a high level of academic excellence, enthusiasm for learning, a healthy self-awareness, interest, and concern for others, and respect for the natural world. We highly value collaboration, teamwork and mutual respect among our students and between our colleagues.
We follow the Waldorf curriculum and methodology, with additional emphasis on agriculture and Hawaiian culture studies.
Kona Pacific is an established charter school of nine years and offers vibrant field trips, festivals, performances, and fund-raisers. The team of faculty and staff are dedicated to our students and families, supportive of each other, and welcoming.
We are located in the district of Kona, which is on the beautiful west side of the island. Our campus is blessed to be on 38 acres of land with a diverse forest playground, farmland and school gardens. Hawaii has many significant cultural and sacred sites, and the indigenous culture and language is deeply valued and integrated into the life of the school.
We are in our ninth school year, with 230 students K-8, and a staff of 40.
POSITION: Extended Day Enrichment (After School) Group Leaders
Kona Pacific Public Charter School on Hawai‘i Island seeks cheerful, capable individuals to join our Extended Day Enrichment Program as After School Group Leaders.
The ideal candidate for the after school group leader positions will have successful experience working with school-aged children, impeccable people skills, an understanding of Waldorf education, and will be a consummate professional with a passion for collaboration and teamwork. The individual will enjoy being challenged, and a flexible individual with a passion for serving a diverse community.
- Dedication to ensuring the safety and well-being of the children
- Behavior management and conflict resolution
- Promoting the program (writing articles for the newsletter, etc.) to enhance enrollment
- Daily communication with the parents and Team (office & teachers)
- Willingness to address all details (prepare snacks; keep the space tidy, etc.)
- Ability to run and participate in daily games and activities (due to the small ratio, 1-15 students, all team members will be expected to actively plan, implement, and engage in all of the daily activities)
- Strong communication skills with a passion for co-creating, collaboration, and teamwork
Required Education and Experience
- A minimum of 2+ years experience in working with school-aged children
- First Aid and CPR certification prior to the first day of employment
- Prior experience working in Hawaii public or charter schools
- Strong communication skills
Desired Education and Experience
- Nature and/or Cultural Mentoring training
- Waldorf experience and/or training
- Early Childhood Education experience and/or training
- Excellent problem solver
- Dedication to building strong relationships with students, team members and the families being served
- A self-starter and lifelong learner with a love for learning new skills
- Motivated, professional and reliable
- Positive, enthusiastic and can-do attitude
- Open-minded and able to work collaboratively and cooperatively
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in the face of competing demands and external pressures
- Commitment to getting the job done right, by following established policies and procedures
- Acute attention to detail
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Must have a strong personal value system that encompasses high integrity and honesty
- Enjoys working with an evolving vision toward community and global impact, while at the same time ensuring daily excellence on campus.
- Understanding of, appreciation for, and commitment to the school’s core values.
- Experience with functioning successfully in diverse, multicultural environments and a genuine appreciation and respect for the diverse peoples of Hawai`i.
Requires US citizenship, or valid work visa.
Start Date: To be determined.
Compensation: The salary range is $12-$15 an hour with professional development opportunities. Part-time, afternoon hours.
Deadline: Recruitment is open until the position is filled.
Contact: We appreciate receiving applications via email, though we will accept faxes at (808) 322-4906. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Extended Day Enrichment (After School) Group Leader” in the subject line of the email. You will be contacted by the Hiring Committee. Mahalo!
POSITION: Full Time Educational Assistant for Special Education/ DOE Full Time Salaried EA II or III Position
Kona Pacific Public Charter School is seeking an experienced Educational Assistant to work full-time in Special Education for the 2017-18 school year. The assistant will collaborate with special education staff as well as the classroom teachers to provide inclusion support in the general education setting for students with a variety of mild to moderate disabilities in the elementary and/or middle school setting. The schedule of work is Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 3:15 pm.
Kona Pacific offers a comprehensive education that weaves together three strands:
- A holistic education inspired by Waldorf education;
- An educational program that embraces the values of Hawaiian culture, with particular focus on environmental education and community sustainability through understanding and respect for the people, land and sea of Hawai’i; and
- A curriculum rich in the life-sustaining practices of farming and gardening that a re a vital part of Hawai’i Island life.
The ideal candidate will have an experience with and understanding of children working with special needs including children with emotional, learning or other challenges.
Minimum qualifications: All qualifications necessary to be employed as an educational assistant by the Department of Education, including an AA degree or equivalent and 2 years full time experience working with children. Preference for those who are eligible for classification of EA III with BA or with established training and experience with Special Education. All encouraged to apply, those who fit well with our school mission will be considered despite previous level of experience.
Contact: We appreciate receiving applications via email, though we will accept faxes at (808) 322-4906. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Special Education Assistant Position” in the subject line of the email. You will be contacted by the Hiring Committee. Mahalo!
POSITION: Substitute Teachers
Kona Pacific provides an educational program inspired by Waldorf education and firmly rooted in the land and culture of the Hawaiian Islands. Each student at Kona Pacific is inspired to a high level of academic excellence, enthusiasm for learning, a healthy self-awareness, interest and concern for others, and respect for the natural world.
We are looking for individuals who are flexible, enjoy learning new things, are willing to rise to meet challenges, and love working with children.
Minimum Qualifications: Teaching license or state certification to substitute teach, and attendance of a Kona Pacific Public Charter School Substitute Orientation being held on November 29, 2017 at 7:45 am (PLEASE RSVP).
Please email the school: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call at 322-4900 if you are interested, and to RSVP for the Substitute Orientation. Thank You!